Petition for Amazon to Stop Economic Censorship of Conservative Nonprofits
Petition: More than any time in memory, Americans need to come together to care for and protect each other during our ongoing public health and economic crisis. As the largest retailer in the world, Amazon shoulders a responsibility for leadership in both words and action. Amazon operates one of the largest charity sources in America: AmazonSmile, which allows their customers to direct a small percentage of their purchases to a charity of their choice. But Amazon has outsourced eligibility decisions for the program to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which uses this power to settle political scores by smearing U.S government registered nonprofits whose mission it opposes. Given Amazon’s growing importance in American life, this is intolerable.
- AmazonSmile has delivered over $150 million in funding to nonprofits.
- These funds are directed by customers to the nonprofit of their choice.
- These nonprofits include politically liberal organizations, such as Planned Parenthood, the Freedom from Religion Foundation, and the SPLC.
- Amazon outsources eligibility decisions to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which deliberately excludes government approved 501(c)3s that are politically conservative to settle political scores, even as they receive funds that they deny their political opponents.
- The size and scale of the AmazonSmile program makes eligibility a critical matter to nonprofits, especially during the current crisis, where need has increased even as funding sources have dried up.
Given the scale of the AmazonSmile Foundation, which delivered over $44 million in grants during the 2018 fiscal year alone, outsourcing this critical function to a politically motivated organization which has a clear conflict of interest is unsupportable, and must end at once.
Therefore, we the undersigned request and require that The AmazonSmile Foundation bring eligibility determinations in-house, publish a fair and clear set of standards for eligibility, and end the gatekeeper role of the Southern Poverty Law Center.