19 May 2005 Top Five Reasons Senate Democrats Oppose Ending Partisan Judicial Filibusters
From husband David, who says he is writing only slightly tongue-in-cheek:
The top five reasons why Senate Democrats oppose an end to partisan judicial filibusters:
5. Tom Daschle, we shall avenge you!
4. To preserve the right of out-of-the-mainstream politicians to define which judges are out of the mainstream.
3. To protect the principle of separation of powers by separating the majority from its powers.
2. We might need filibusters again to stop pesky civil rights legislation.
1. To preserve America’s long tradition of one man, one-and-one-quarter vote.